In this guide we will show you how to use Live Chat and Moderation for your StreamShark Event.
1. Create an Event with Live Chat enabled
For full step-by-step instructions on how to create an Event, see here.
When you create a new Event, set the Live Chat setting to "ON". The Chat Type dropdown option will appear. StreamShark offers Live Chat in two modes. The “Public” mode allows viewers to see each other’s comments and questions whereas the "Q&A" mode allows viewers to submit questions that are visible only to the moderator.
2. Select your Player URL or Embed Code
Navigate to the Overview Tab of your Event. The Player & Embed Codes section in the StreamShark offers a range of options for player links and embed codes depending on whether you want to embed the player with chat or embed chat independently.
3. Viewer Identity
The Privacy Setting you selected when creating your Event i.e. how your event is protected dictates how the identity of the viewer joining the chat is sourced. A few different scenarios are described below.
- SSO protected internal event: When the viewer tries to access the live stream, the player is unlocked via SSO authentication. The Chat is also joined automatically with the employee name by authenticating with the SSO provider. Once authenticated, Employees have the option to post a message/question anonymously.
- Event with whitelisted emails: When the viewer authenticates with StreamShark, they enter their name. When they join chat, their name is automatically entered.
- Event with Viewer Registration: The viewer enters their name and email address to unlock the player and when they join chat, their name is automatically entered.
- Event without registration: The viewer joins chat and enters their name.
4. Player with Chat
Shown below is an example of the player with chat on a desktop computer .
The screenshot below illustrates the player with chat open on a smartphone. On smartphones viewers don't have to navigate away from the live stream. They can watch and type questions/comments at the same time in portrait mode. However, if the phone is rotated and the viewer is watching in landscape mode, the chat window is hidden.
5. Moderate Live Chat
Navigate to the Live Chat tab for your Event.
Within the Live Chat Moderation panel, the moderator can perform the following functions:
- Review incoming feed of comments and questions.
- Click on "..." to edit questions/comments for brevity.
- Click on the Star button (★) to select questions to ask the the Talent (presenter/speaker).
- Click on the Heart button (♥) to like a question.
- Post a message to viewers.
- Click on the funnel and gear symbols to perform more actions such as export to JSON/CSV
Within the Starred Questions panel, the moderator can perform the following functions:
- Click on the "Open Presenter View" button and share the url to the teleprompter UI with the Talent. The presenter view screen can be open on a smartphone, tablet or a teleprompter.
- Click on the "Send to presenter" button to share question(s) with the presenter/speaker/talent. Once the question is sent, the button changes to "Remove from presenter".
- Click on the "Remove from presenter" button to remove question(s) from the presenter view screen.
- Click on the "Unstar" button to remove the question from the shortlist.
6. Presenter View / Teleprompter UI
The screenshot below shows the teleprompter UI. The controls on the right depict the following options:
- zoom in/zoom out
- change the orientation of the displayed text (required if using a teleprompter)
- change the background and text colours
- change the justification of the displayed text
- Viewing the presenter view in full screen
- Collapsing the controls menu
7. Social Restreaming Chat
StreamShark’s Restreaming workflows allow you to go live natively on social destinations including Facebook and YouTube. Our integrations with these destinations allow you to source comments and questions from your audience on Facebook, YouTube and even across multiple destinations simultaneously. An example of sourcing comments and questions from Facebook Live is shown below.
If you are using Live Chat and have questions, please don't hesitate to contact the StreamShark support team.